All in all this purse took me perhaps half an hour to do, being the first run through of this design. But now I have Nicole's techniques mastered, I'm sure I could whip one of these up in less than that. Here is my end result.
A structured purse with box base to make it stand up, a neat zipper closure and some padding to make it all fancy-like. It's lined and is a perfect size for coins in your handbag or basket, little make up bits and pieces or a sweet purse for a little girl.
Forgive the wonky topstitching - my excuse is that it was hot, late at night and I just wanted to finish something so I did rush a little! A very satisfying project all the same. This pattern comes with two sizes included so I will definitely be making more.
Thank you Nicole for sharing your cleverness! I feel right professional loike now!
It's hot today. 38 degree forecast day. It's one of those dry Adelaide heat days. It feels like a late January day where all the moisture has been sucked out of the jacaranda flowers and the heat haze shimmers on the ashphalt.
I also have approximately one whole school day left on my own before school breaks up. And though the housework is calling me desperately, the dishes need doing, washing is all over the dining table and the floor needs cleaning, I just can't bring myself to squander these precious last hours on housework.
The sewing machine is calling. A 1950's frock is tempting me to sew it for a couple of events I am attending this weekend.
What do you think will win? Housework or frock making?
I don't get the chance to sew for boys very often, apart from sewing Silly Gilly items. So it was fun to play around and get boyish sewing this wallet for my daughter's friend. Made using suede, vinyl and some of a favourite Michael Miller print.
I'm feeling as focussed as a March fly lately, with so many shiny things vying for my attention. The warmer weather has inspired me to sew some new clothes for myself, including a badly executed attempt at these:
My measurements are a little larger than the sizes on the pattern I purchased. Easy, I thought after consulting my vintage sewing manuals. Just add a bit to the waist measurement. But alas I am also larger in the belly/hips/child bearing areas as well. I am yet to add the waistband but thought I might try again in another fabric and colour as my muslin. Who makes muslin's these days? Muslin being a test run of a garment made from cheap material. I thought the idea of sewing was that you could just whip something up in an afternoon and be prancing off down the street in your new frock/sailing trousers in no time.
Alas, I've learnt my lesson. Version number 2 is about to be attempted with some timely advice from here. Wish me luck. I aim to have a wearable version of these before next weekend.
There seems to be tumbleweeds blowing through this dang blog. Not much to be read around these parts......
Facing the age-old (well, 10-year-old or as long as blogs have been around) dilemma of whether I keep this blog going....
Fitness this morning in 6.5 degrees weather outside on a muddy oval.
Walking the dogs on a sunny but cold and windy beach.
Crusing the aisles at Spotlight.
Deciding to cut apart a perfectly good brand new dress to add panels in so it fits me.
I've done anything and everything today to avoid finishing off those bathers that are starting to do my head in. I'm on the home stretch with them but all these alterations to the pattern are getting tiresome!